2019 is upon us and there is a lot in store at Disneyland next year. If you’re planning a trip read on for all of the important events coming up.
- January 6th marks the end of the Holiday Season at Disneyland Resort. On the 7th, It’s a Small World and the Haunted Mansion will be closed to transform back to their classic versions. This transformation usually takes a few weeks. You can check the Disney app to see what rides and attractions are closed for refurbishment under park hours and info.
- The Lunar New Year Celebration-the year of the Pig will be held at Disney California Adventure January 26th through February 18th, 2019. This celebration will include a special 6-minute long pre-show before the world of color called Hurry Home. At Paradise Gardens Park (at the west end of DCA) you will find new decorations for the festival, Milan’s Lunar New Year Procession can be enjoyed a few times daily in front of Paradise Gardens, as well as special entertainment, and rare Disney character meet and greets. There will be marketplace booths with Asian food offerings, special merchandise and crafts for the kids.
- “Get Your Ears On”, a Mickey and Minnie Mouse celebration, will start sometime in January. Festivities include a new show “Mickey’s Mix Magic” debuting January 18th. This show will light up the sky, Sleeping Beautys Castle, Main Street USA, the Rivers of America and It’s a Small World with lasers, projections and music. On select nights the show will also include fireworks. DJ Mickey will be spinning tunes including a new song, “Its a Good Time.”
- Mickey’s Soundsational Parade will return on January 25th to continue the celebration. The parade will have a brand new float for Mickey Mouse that is said to be inspired by the classic Mickey pull toys. Another new addition to the parade is Chip ‘n’ Dale on a giant celebration cake. And of course, there will be lots of Celebration Souvenirs like new Mickey and Minnie popcorn buckets and a celebration sipper.
- January 22nd through February 18th is the Valentine’s Celebration. Join Disney in celebrating the love of Mickey and Minnie with special Mickey and Minnie foods, beverages and merchandise, new ears, pins, and apparel. A new scavenger hunt called Minnie’s Valentine Surprise will allow guests to hunt for Valentines that Minnie has scattered for Mickey through the parks. To participate guests can purchase a commemorative map and stickers at select locations. Once you’ve found all the valentines, return your map at a redemption location for a prize. (I will post the location information as soon as it is released.)
February and March 2019
- February 7th is Disneyland After Dark- Sweethearts Nite.
- March 7th is Disneyland After Dark 90’s Nite. These are Disney hosted special events that take place in the park from 9 pm to 1 am. For more information please check out my post-2019 Disney After Dark These events are a ton of fun and are a totally unique way of experiencing Disneyland.
- March 8th Captain Marvel hits theaters. Sometime early in the year there will be meet and greets with Captain Marvel at California Adventure.
March and April 2019
- Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival March 1st through April 23rd. The festival is being extended to 8 weeks this year and will host more than a dozen Marketplaces serving California inspired foods and beverages. There will be live entertainment, cooking demonstrations, and family-friendly seminars. Also, new this year, there will be festival inspired menu items served at restaurants throughout Disneyland and California Adventure.
- Mid-April expect more crowds with kids being out of school for Spring Break.
- April 13th and 14th Dapper Day. The Dapper Day Expo is held on the 13th at the Disneyland Hotel Exhibit Hall. Tickets to the Expo will be available as the event nears and can be purchased here. At the expo, you will find a large marketplace featuring vintage and contemporary clothing and accessories, beauty products, barbers, and much more. Most of the vendors use this Expo to launch special collections and exclusive designs. There are also live bands each afternoon at the Expo. Dapper Day’s spring outing to Disneyland is on the 14th. Regular tickets to the park are required for entry.
- Expect to continue to see an increase in crowds due to Spring Break.
- Grad Night
- The “Get Your Ears On” celebration may continue into the summer. I will continue to keep you updated through my Instagram and blog.
Dates are listed below. The parks will be a little more crowded and will also close earlier on these dates: May 10, 11, 17, 18, 21, 22, 28, 29 and 31 June 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 14
June, July and August 2019
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is set to open in June!!!
- August 23rd through the 25th is the D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center. If you plan to attend and need a good hotel to stay at check out our review of the Courtyard Anaheim Resort/Convention Center.
The official opening date has not been released yet. With summer being in full swing and the opening of the Galaxy’s Edge you can expect crowds to be high. In an effort to control this, Disneyland has adjusted blackout dates for the Annual Passes. Blackout dates will now be park specific so be sure to check your Passes blackout dates to see which park you will have access to.
September and October 2019
- Early September Disney’s Halloween time will begin and will run through October 31st.
November and December 2019
- The Holiday Season starts the beginning of November and will run through January 8th. This will include The Festival of Holidays at DCA which has amazing foods, performances, and activities. You can see our review from this year’s Festival here.
Just a few last notes:
World of color has been closed for refurbishment and there has been no information on when it will be up and running again. I will keep you posted on an actual date once it is announced.
The new Jessie’s Critter Carousel and the Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind are set to open sometime in 2019. Both will be located at DCAs Pixar Pier. Fun fact, the Flicks Flyers ride from bugs land has been shipped to Italy where it is being refurbished and transformed into the new Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind ride.
I hope this is helpful in planning your trips to Disneyland.